Subject: Re: [Audyssey] The red herring of visual game recreation, was:
MindCraft for the blind.
From: Ian Reed <supp...@blindaudiogames.com>
Date: 01/01/2014 4:30 pm

Hi Dark,

I too dislike 1D side scrollers and after trying a few I was put off of
trying more.
Because of that I may not have a good concept of which games actually
stretch that boundary and become more 2D.

Fortunately I finally tried bokurano daiboukenn 3 yesterday and was
quite impressed.
It is a fully 2D platformer.
Your character is one space tall and can jump 3 spaces higher than himself.
The jumps seem somewhat analog since if you want to jump onto a high
ledge that has a gap underneath it you must make sure to move to the
right at the middle of your jump rather than right after you jump.

While I think it is still far more difficult than playing a mainstream
platformer with vision it does work reasonably well.
I think there are a few more improvements that could be made, but the
author has done a good job and any developer wanting to experiment in
this area should try BK3 first to see how the author has solved some of
the problems so they don't go re-inventing the wheel.

I know you're not excited about going through the setup required to play
Japanese games.
I was not either, which is why it took me 4 and a half months since
Bladestorm360's Guide to playing Japanese games and Clement Chou's
earlier guide before I finally got setup.

I ran into 2 hitches during setup which were quite frustrating.
The first was getting the Japanese keyboard installed because NVDA
reported a treeview item as a list view item and so I did not realize I
had to expand it to get down to the actual check box items.
You might not hit the same issue since we are running different versions
of Windows and different screen readers.
The second was because BK3 did not output to the clipboard by default
and I had to use control C to grab the Japanese text of the screen
before using instant translate to convert it to English.
Once I got BK3 copying it's output to the clipboard the process became
much more smooth.

I recommend finding some time to devote to getting through the Japanese
game setup process.

If you're not ready to do that yet then you should try a game called 2D
Platformer located here:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=12126

2DP uses the English language and copies many of the game mechanics of BK3.
It is more of a game prototype at this stage though, demonstrating the
movement mechanics, where BK3 is a completed game with hazards, enemies,
items, gold coins, experience, character levels, and stat growth.
But for me it was a teaser to get me to finally setup to play Japanese
games.

Anyway, I still think platformers have lots of room for improvement, but
it is nice to see games stretching the bounds.

Ian Reed
Try my free games at http://BlindAudioGames.com