Hi Paul.

I don't think the fire has any more affect than atmosphere after it's triggered the first few encounters with the builder and unlocked the silent forest, at least I've had nothing dire happen with it going out. I do keep it stoked though for atmosphere if nothing else.

I'm well in to the alternate mode now. it was tough to get going, since though the trading post got unlocked when I had 15 traps and I bought the compass the dusty path didn't appear, but when I mentioned this to the developer he advised me to turn the ap off and on again with the ap switcher which fixed it.

I actually like the alternate mode in a lot of ways, since it makes loot really important, and gives you a good reason to take back even the firs and such you get from beasts (since you really need to work at exchanging them with the merchant for stuff), and also it