For those playing wayfare, since there was some discussion here earlier about
what resources show up on a scan, I've discovered that you can pretty much tell
what is present just from the descriptions. I.E. scattered clumps of fist-sized
crystals mean ceramic geode, and there's other descriptions that indicate other
extractable resources.
Also, it does help to explore (though it takes forever) and discover, because I
found a few extractable resources via discover that weren't initially in the
room description.
I'm a like Dark in the playing here, I much prefer to be left alone to explore,
and do my own thing, but if anyone really wants to contact me on game, I'm
wired, and my settlement is on MC-1954, though I won't say where, since I have
heavy turret guns active on all my building plots, and I'd hate to have folks
get blasted away when trying to pay a friendly visit. :)
Anyway, I like the job system, though it's difficult (most of the time) to
determine what you should be doing to complete the jobs, it's still fun to try
to figure it all out.  I strongly recomend everyone who plays, grab a piece of
real estate for yourself, and build your first shelter as soon as you can,
since with each thing you do on the mud, it opens up more options for you.

Skills are a bit of a crap shoot at first, until you get the hang of things,
but I recomend basic medical first aid, then don't train anything else in that
skill group, because this will help you tend your wounds if you get any while
building your settlement.  Then, learn the whole survival group, as these will
let you carry more things, and generally survive the rigors of colonizing
better.
Once you're done with those, learn the whole exploration group, since this
permits additional jobs, and helps you find useful materials for building your
settlement and other items.
After that, primative assembly is helpful, because it gives you bonuses when
building items (and there's a *lot* of items to build).
Then, on primative weapons, only the knows which end hurts people is necessary,
unless you actually want to engauge in pvp (which I'm trying hard to avoid),
and on the science skillset, you'll want to get lab operation and research
focus.
With those skills, (and you can learn them in whatever order you need them) you
will have everything you need to get through the first phase of colonization,
and work through to the point when you can reroll and get more skillsets and
more skill points.  These skills will take all of the initial 2500 points you
get, but in my opinion provide the most benefit on planet, at least for
starting out.  I didn't select ranger as Dark did, but you can still get the
job to kill 75 little critters, and make money doing it. :)
I had less than 300 dollars when I landed on planet, and now I'm up to nearly
6K, and it's all from discoveries,  building, and job completion.
I'm still trying to figure out the whole civilian population thing, though I
know it's related to kinds/number of buildings in your settlement, though
defenses don't seem to add to either your jobs, civilian population, or money
earned, but I'd rather have them than not.
There are tons of crafting tools (basic, structure, advanced structure,
component, ...) you get the idea.  Each one builds different things, and you're
likely to need something from each one before you're done with your settlement.
One word of warning.  I've not figured out how (if it's even possible) to stop
resource extraction (they call it harvesting) so don't do what I did, and begin
harvesting plant fiber while in the ocean without some sort of method of
breathing.  I drowned, and had to respawn and start my processing all over
again.  It seems that when you harvest items, the harvester will continue
running either until the item runs out, or your inventory is full.  I've found
it useful to keep my inventory mostly full, especially when woking in ocean
realms, as I still don't have breathing aparatus, so that I don't spend
inordinately long times harvesting ocean  realms.  Trust me, it's not fun to
know you're dying, and can't do a thing about it.
The harvesters can be configured to only get one kind of resource if you need
it bad enough, but generally I just let them harvest what they can find, as it
adds to my stockpiles.  Build yourself a warehouse, and store your overflow in
the warehouse containers, and if you build some extraction plants then you can
automate the whole process of extracting items from the ground.  It's a lot of
fun, and with some practice (and a lot of aliases) you can get the most out of
your building tools and have a blast doing it.
Hope this helps some.