From: Gamers [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On Behalf Of Davy Kager
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2014 10:02
To: 'Gamers Discussion list'
Subject: [Audyssey] BGT And Screen Readers And Unicode And More

Hi,

NOTE: this post is sort of way too nerdy for this list, but I thought I�€셝 send
it anyway, for the wanna-be coder�€셲 general delight.

Now that BGT is FREE I thought I�€셝 try and see if I could write a wrapper for my screen reader abstraction library so that my screen reader of choice (SuperNova) could be supported by games written using this toolkit. I also like having as many wrappers as possible for my library, to make people�€셲 lives easier if they use something that isn�€셳 C++. So trying out BGT sounded like a good idea to spend a Thursday morning. Anyway, turns out BGT is into ANSI where strings are concerned. So naturally I have some questions:

-          Is there a way to call external DLLs that use Unicode strings (which
is what Windows has been doing for a real long time).

-          If not, is there any chance BGT can gain native support for
SuperNova and maybe also ZoomText?

Opensourcing the thing sounds like a fun idea, though I see several issues with that too and don�€셳 intend on starting that debate here and now. Just wondered if there�€셲 a way to deal with Unicode strings that doesn�€셳 involve depriving Philip of a few hours of sleep. Using int or long might work, but then still you�€셝 need to convert these into a string object, and those are ANSI so they�€셪l pout at you real bad and then bluntly refuse.

Note that I use Java myself, and not necessarily for games, so this is not a message saying �€쏦ELP GUYS I AM STUCK AND ABSOLUTELY NEED TO GET THIS RESOLVED OR ELSE I CANNOT WRITE MY GAME!!!�€� I just want to provide as many wrappers for my DLL as I can without overdoing it, and BGT is definitely a big thing in the blind gamers community. That reminds me, I should probably try to do AutoIt too. Anyone know if that allows you to call DLLs in a non-evil way?

Thanks,

Davy

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org If you want to leave the list, send