Hi Tom.

Have you played adventure at C:? that has sort of the same idea of going into a computer to stop a sentient virus, and while the plot and acting are a little slap dash, the mechanics are very good, mixing the sort of superliam style game with rpg elements, and a stage creator, although annoyingly nobody has a sensibel way of sharing created stages and their just passed around by bit torrents off audiogames.net.

Either way, that is an instance where the virus plot has been used.

I also don't know if anyone ever played the game Supaplex. This was a complex spacial puzzle action game similar to the classic boulderdash, sort of like Robo E or to a lesser extent stem stumper, but with far more elements to play with. It's a style of puzzle that I personally find very engaging and lots of fun, sinse it's also very low vision accessible. however Supaplex is unique sinse rather than being the standard "collect gems in a mine" setup you were a little oange ball called murphie in a computer, collecting little bits of information called Infotrons without zonks falling on you, and avoiding various nasty enemies like electrons and snick snacks who were sort of like the ghosts in packman.

There is even a very awsome sequel independently produced by the original owner of the supaplex fan club called Igor the time machine, where you play a little robot called igor going through the mutated circuits of an alien probe trying to assemble a time machine. That one is really! whacky with marbles that crush you, pudding to eat and lots of other craziness, though the puzzle elements were awsome!

It's actually sad that until we have a full tactile display I'm not sure if accessible versions of those sorts of puzzle games could be created in audio sinse things are so! vertical with your character moving in four directions, blocks that fall down from the ceiling enemies that move various ways etc, though of course I admit I could be wrong on this entirely.

Either way, my point is that the computer virus plot is actually a good one, and can be used for some pretty funky games, sinse it lets the developer insert whatever elements they want into the game and just claime "It's the computer being whacky!" and of course, they also come with an often 80's electronic soundtrack and aesthetic, rather like the film Tron, which I always found a very interesting environment. (there was a recent very awsome Doctor who audio that took this on, having a real biological sentient virus that became a virus on the galactic internet and the doctor had to digitize himself and his assistant to challenge it).

Beware the grue!