Hi Shaun,

To begin with I do believe you have a misunderstanding what SDL is.
SDL, the Simple Direct Media Layer, is a cross-platform multimedia
library that handles graphics, sound, input events, etc. So ripping
SDL out of Dropbox and replacing it with something else isn't nearly
as easy as you make it sound. I do believe Dosbox would have to be
completely rewritten from scratch in order to remove SDL support so
you are overly simplifying the situation.

However, to answer your questions more directly the first problem by
removing SDL is we'd lose the cross-platform support. I know many
Windows users would not care about that so much, but anyone using
Linux or Mac OS would certainly lose out just by yanking SDL out and
replacing it with a platform specific API.

The second and perhaps more serious issue is the way Dropbox displays
its contents to the screen is through a graphics library. In other
words what is displayed on screen in Dropbox is drawn directly to the
screen the way video game graphics and text are drawn to the screen so
yanking SDL out and replacing it with another graphics library like
Direct3D or OpenGL  won't help the situation any.