Hi Phil,
As I recall in the clasic Monty for atari as soon as you walked in to a
dark room with no visible lighting one of your torches would light
bringing the room in to relief.
That was extremely helpful as the final level was totally dark, and no
torches. You had to bring a few along from the other levels to make it
to the end.
I hesitate to make something like David's smoke screen, but it does
sound like an interesting thought.