Unfortunately this is not what I see happening.

People are still needing to use laptops at this point for work tasks which used
to need to be done on desktops.

Desktops are now already being relegated to only the most extreme, demanding
tasks because portables have now become so powerful that they can do
industry-standard work in such fields as visual design, audio engineering etc.

I have a friend who is a designer who runs all his software on a very high-end
laptop so he can work from anywhere. Just a few years ago, running this sort of
software on a laptop was simply unheard-of.

Personally, I still also need a laptop to do my development work. All of the
developers I work with, need to do this due to processing power requirements or
simple logistics in developing for mobile platforms.

So pretty much the laptop is not going anywhere soon.

However, for many other work tasks, it is true. Mobile devices and tablets are
gaining momentum.

-And obviously, for non-work activities the mobile / tablet scene is already
overtaken everything else by far.

Thanks and great topic!

Cheers!

Cara
---
iOS design and development - LookTel.com
---
View my Online Portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/models/Cara-Quinn

Follow me on Twitter!