I had no problem playing nethack under dos using artic technologies business
vision as my screen reader.  Unfortunately, I've had very little luck playing
these sorts of games under other operating systems, because of the way cursor
positioning is handled.  I've been after apple for years to allow same column
up/down when in terminal, instead of forcing the cursor back to the start of
the line each time you go up/down.  If this was an option, then nethack could
easily be played under osx, but alass, my pleas have fallen on deaf ears.  It
would help considerably with compileing programs too, because generally, the
error is marked with a ^ (carrot) symbol, and it's always put just after (or
under) the error in question, and not having direct up/down capability makes it
difficult to tell exactly where the errors are.  Since I used to use a dos
terminal to my linux boxes, I also had no trouble playing nethack under linux,
but since I've switched to osx/linux terminal programs, the aforem
 entioned issues crop up, and make it nearly impossible to play them now, so
it's kind of sad really.