Can I also point out that the irresponsible thing would be for a parent to actually purchase this game for a minor? Because, let's be realistic here. Lots of kids live this kind of life. They know what violence is. And most children don't have the funds to buy a $25 game without some outside help. The outside help would, in essence, be the negligent party here, not the developers.

Furthermore, I like to imagine, although I'm sure it's inaccurate, that this game is kind of a screw you to polite society and political correctness.

On 4/29/2015 6:59 PM, Charles Rivard wrote:
I haven't played the game, but you point out how irresponsible and reprehensible the character is. It makes sense that the character would be this way. After all, the character is a criminal. Taking thin under consideration along with the name of the game, well, there you go. Two plus two equals four.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Brown" <tyr...@gmail.com>
To: "gamers" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:18 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] psycho strike some observations

So, I read the documentation, and I've played one game.  Admittedly,
that's a small data sample, but I want to make the following
observations:

1.  The game sound design and the game play are very nice.  The hot
keys are for the most part very intuitive, and the movement and menu
systems all work as expected.  Breaking the game into distinct zones
that you get to from a menu and then sidescroll through made a lot of
sense and avoided some obvious navigational issues.  Some auditory
cues could have been perhaps a little more pronounced for my taste,
but overall, I got it.

2.  I found the character motivation very flimsy.  First off, just
deciding to homicidally kill everyone at a party as my first action in
a criminal career in which I want to amass a gang and get money and
better weapons didn't click for me.  Good crime bosses avoid
entanglements with the police and such situations.  Further, mass
murderers of the type depicted in the first sequence aren't your buddy
film types imo.

3.  On a moral ground, I have severe issues with the character
motivation, the game scoring, and the presentation of violence.

The character motivation as character motivation was discussed above,
but giving a player a choice of either body count or cash as a means
of keeping score struck me as sort of sick.  Further, I have a hard
time justifying the developer's decision to release a game with this
sort of content that can be downloaded directly and played at least as
a demo, with no blocks in place to keep minors from playing it. All
such blocks have issues, there's no good way to police such issues,
but given that the first sequence is the murder of ten defenseless
people for no better reason than you decided to strikes me a socially
irresponsible.

The game play is awesome, the game design has a lot of good points,
but minus several million for good taste and well-thought out
character motivations.  This game could have been improved immensely
merely by introducing more motivation.  You're a poor caterer who's
about to lose their job, be turned out on the streets and a mysterious
man drives up to you, he offers to set you up in comfort if you kill a
certain man at the party.  Unfortunatley, he does not have any way of
identifying the man.  While still morally reprehensible, this at least
gives the player some reason to be doing this.  Further, if more
patrons have some means of fighting back other than police, then it
might be less objectionable to me.  I play violent games: every rpg,
mud, etc is essentially no different in terms of raw violence.
However, basing a game on killing people who are screaming don't hurt
me strikes me, as I said before, as completely irresponsible.

Take care,

Jeremy

--
In the fight between you and the world--back the world! Frank Zapa