what is tdv? i don't think i've heard of it.

follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

On 6/13/2015 9:40 AM, john wrote:
I'll do my best to answer each of your points below:
Game comparison: I have no clue. I haven't played mainstream games, and
really pay them little attention, so have no idea how to compare. However,
what I've seen leads me to say something like TDV is relatively close to
mainstream - its got story, its got multiplayer, and its got other stuff to
do. I'd also put Swamp in that box, especially once you start involving
player-written campaigns in the equation. If there were more of those out
there, it'd probably be pretty close to mainstream titles.
For the rest of your points, I think its important to point out that what's
being discussed here is a number of developers, not just two or three,
banding together with the intent of getting a product out the door. We're
not talking one loan dev doing everything - we're talking several, with
community support for every aspect of the job.
Finances: If we made a game a truly community project and then went ahead
and published a list of things we needed to make it work and their prices
for the community to contribute on, as well as pitching in ourselves, I
think we could probably raise more money than you think. $100 is a lot of
money, but there are probably a couple people out there who'd be willing to
send in that much, as well as several others who'd be fine sending in $20
for the project. I'd also like to note that if you make it your intent to
make a project low budget, you can still come up with something high quality
without spending $5000 on sounds and acting. I'm two years into my own
project, and while I certainly wouldn't call it mainstream quality, my total
budget (including bgt because I'm being generous) has been... $40, total.
$10 for a sound library, and $30 for the bgt license. Of course I haven't
gotten everything done (not even close), but every step of the way I'm
trying to find ways to use existing or free resources, rather than spending
hundreds of dollars on commercial libraries.
Time: two points here. 1: even large companies take years to make those
games, also. Its not as if they can crank them out in six months, at least
not from what I've heard. 2: Yeah, you're right. Its going to take a long
time for us to make a really big and high quality game. We'll tell the
community that before we go ahead and take their money - something like
"please understand that this project is expected to take at least five years
before anything is even remotely available for beta."
Compensation: this is a community-supported project, built and worked on by
the community, every sep of the way. People have already contributed to
build the game, it'd be completely unethical to then turn around and tell
them you wanted more money for a project that they've been a part of almost
as much as you. That said, developers would be spending a lot of time on
this - a donation button is perfectly appropriate.
You've also mentioned the subject of a common programming interface in the
past - I think that would have to be something determined only once the team
of developers was assembled. Compromises would have to be made, of course -
its pointless to say "I want to write this game in language x" if only two
developers in the community know that language at all. There's just no way
to figure out what would work before those who were going to do the writing
were all there and able to say how comfortable they were with a given
interface.