From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org
Date sent: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:34:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Why I build the games as I do

@Marty, Blind people don't like rpgs? not true.

Go and check audiogames.net and observe the amount of people who reply to rpg related topics, or indeed post a topic and ask. I suspect the information you got from that statement was from a local focus group, ie, society or association for the blind. Unfortunately, such places tend to
have a generally older population who are primarily interested in
traditional type games, however for younger gamers (and indeed those more likely to own Ios devices), something a little more modern and complex would appeal more, indeed part of the problem with audiogames development is that there is a large amount of traditional games available and not so much that is none traditional, ie, I can think of about 8 versions of blackjack over the years, but not one single version of a modern fantasy board game like
Talisman, much less a ccg, collectable card game.

I'll also add that rpgs don't need to be as complex as the games produced by companies like namco and squaresoft. dungeons and dragons do very well with basic mechanics, indeed most of what an rpg does mechanically can be represented by dice rolls and risk assessments, the one difference is that you have story and atmosphere added to that, as well as player progression
over time.

You might begin therefore by adapting some of the multiplayer fantasy themed card and board games for Ios, games like heroes of the multiverse or talisman, or creating your own along similar lines if copywrite is an issue. These would be mechanically similar to games like roadtrip, hearts or dice poker, just with more text involved, eg, a player would encounter a monster with a description of it's stats and be required to roll dice for combat, or a player would encounter a magical object card and decide whether to take it
with them or not.

While I do enjoy the games in the collection thus far, I am a little sorry none are games intended for longer or more complex play. There's nothing wrong with a game of hearts, blackjack etc or a quick arcade game, however unfortunately there has already been a lot of that sort of thing produced, indeed I do wonder if some people are taking the attitude "well there are several versions of hearts for pc, why should I pay to have one on my
Iphone?"

this isn't meant as an attack, as I said I enjoy the games for what they are, it just saddens me to see developers now producing exactly the same sorts of games we were seeing in the community 10 years ago, especially with the greater distribution and easier development inherent on Ios, indeed it's a little ironic that with one exception all of the more complex games we've seen recently for Pc or Ios have been games produced by sighted developers who have accidently created accessible games, or have included access requests in games that are %80 accessible such as adventure to fate, where as games produced with the express intention of writing games for blind
people have intended to be simpler.

This isn't to say "where's audio final fantasy", only that some change and advancement would be nice, especially if kidfriendly software are doing so
well as a company.

All the best,