Probably because pokemon yellow was specifically meant to tie in with the tv series, with you automatically having pikachu as your starter.

All the best,

DArk.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael barnes" <c...@samobile.net>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Manamon main character.

I know that in Pokemon yellow you could put your name or pick a name from the selection.
Ash was one of the name.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 26, 2016, at 12:35 PM, dark <d...@xgam.org> wrote:

Whatever you  name him at the start (it is definitely a him).

Ash's name was only revealed in the tv series of pokemon, in the games you just named your character.
In that way, the main character in my manamon game is called dark :D.

All the best,