Having progressed beyond that part I can say that it seems the shadow master is a task for much further into the game, however, I'm also curious. Suppose that you were to painstakingly to level up you party and succeed in defeating his fourth manamon, rather than getting captured and having to complete the tunnels part, is that even possible, and would the story then take another branch?