Hi Josh,
Honestly allot of it comes down to how the end user license agreement,
(ula,) is written. I've seen some on one extreme that states clearly go
ahead and do what you want to the other extreme which says any use of
characters, sounds, graphics, for free or commercial use is absolutely
out of the question. Then, there are license agreements less strict and
more strict than others. The only way you really know where you stand is
check the ula first.
One clear time where open source software was challenged by a commercial
company happend a couple of years ago. Back then the makers of the big
name Linux distrubutions Red Hat, Suse, etc were trying to really
advertise the Linux os. They use to have great screen shots of the KDE
operating gui environment announced X-Windows everywhere, and tried to
get off by saying this was like Windows without stepping on Microsoft's
toes. Well, they did anyway.
Microsoft took Red Hat or one of the manufacturers to court over their
graphical user interface and claming Linux was attempting to copy the MS
Windows operating environment.
As I recall the way it ended was Linux would not use the term Windows in
any of there apps but would reference their Windows-like desktops,
(Gnome and KDE,) as a graphical user interface or desktop operating
environment.
Since Gnome and KDE are visually different from Windows Linux got off
from being out right accused of copying Windows, but their attempts to
leverage the Windows concept to go in their favor back-fired and landed
them in court defending there GUI.
The point being is that Linux is and has always been a Unix-like based
operating system, built and maintained by the open source community,
totally free, and the minute they begin trying to begin looking and
acting a bit like the more popular OS Microsoft was right there to try
and stop it.
Now, I don't think you and I will be facing the same kind of issues, but
if the major companies did find out you or I were copying their games to
make free blind games we could be served with a court order to sease and
desist production, distribution, or face some kind of fine.