Hi Lisa,
Part of that is do to the fact virtual 3D audio isn't as perfect as real
3D audio in life. In order to reconstruct it you truly need 3D earphones
or a set of 5 speakers spaced equally around yourself to  get the real
sound of the FPS environment. It can get pretty expensive for some
gamers so using stereo headphones and regular speakers won't cut it.
I thought about doing my FPS titles in a true 3D environment rather than
2D as is SOD and Sarah, but that would add an element of complication
for most users. In addition to the left, right, forward and  back, you
would also have up and down directions which really would or could get
confusing.