Hi Lora.

I've never actually played Risk, but a stratogy style boardgame would be
great sinse it would satisfy two of our gaming desires, ----- stratogy games
and board games, however I'm not sure about how the programming for such a
game would work.

the fantasy game certainly sounds great. tthere seems to have been a fair
few releases like that in the 1980's, particularly tied to specific books or
worlds, ----- there's apparently a boardgame based on Warlock of Firetop
mountain, the very first Fighting fantasy adventure game book.

Of course, being a tolkeen fan, the game I'd love to play most is the Lotr
stratogy game, which has both characters wandering around the board
encountering various things, and large armies and military stratogy ala
risk. It sounds great! and an accessible version, with or without computer
opponents would be great!

I believe a fair few 1980's board games can be downloaded as Pdf's so that
you can print out the board and cards and such, ---- unfortunately though,
these aren't precisely accessible, ---- like the sited versions, unless
you've got somebody to do the necessary reading of cards, board squares etc.

but for people specifically wanting a fantasy adventure style board game
(including me), there's a quite interesting project underway over at
Chronicals of Arborell  http://www.arborell.com/

this is a sort of cross betwene a card game and a gamebook. There are a
number of cards that make up the dungeon, and a very large book of gamebook
sections. The idea is that you put down a card and then look up certain
things in the book ----- occasionally rowling on random encounter tables D&D
style), you then put down another card (the cards have arrows), to represent
another dungeon room, and so on. There is a quest to complete which requires
you to collect certain items, but there are also some extre encounter tables
and things so that you can just play the game as a randomly generating
dungeon.

Obviously the only accessibility issue is the actual cards themselves, but
I've had a discussion with the game creator, ----- who's been fairly
fantastic as regards accessibility matters, and he's looking into producing
an Html version of the cards, and using the Gma dice program to generate a
number at random to tell you what card to pick (keeping a record of past
cards in case you need to back track through the dungeon).

I'm not sure how much work has been done on the accessible html
version, ---- the Gm's rewriting one of the Arborell gamebooks at the
moment, but I certainly think it'll be fantastic when it's done.

In the mean time, I'd deffinately recommend checking out the gamebooks and
novellas on the site, the Arborell world is really interesting and the Gm
can certainly write.

I'll now run away before this turns into an advert.

Beware the Grue!