Hi Andy,
Start Quote
  If you dont believe that any server, any server even paypal is
at risk.
End quote

Andy, I have been in the development and network admin field for quite a
while. In my years I know enough to know nothing is 100% secure. That is
impossible. However, there is pretty secure, and there is almost
garenteed to get cracked secure.  Allot of this is subject to the
applications, quality of admin, etc involved. For example, Windows
network servers are known to have more security holes than one running
the latest FreeBSD that is properly configured.  It goes without saying
many companies choose a low cost GNU-based server running Linux or
FreeBSD over MS Windows server just because of known security issues
such as you speak of. Is it totally secure? No, but that company just
upped the security quite allot if the GNU server is properly setup by
the network admin.

Start Quote
  If you have a firewall
antivirus, nope; no good on web pages.
End quote

No good? As a matter of fact a firewall and antivirus is only as good as
the end user updates them and configures them properly. However, having
them in place is much much better than none at all.So it does some good
even if it doesn't make everything 100% secure.
I'd like to point out that no two firewall pieces of software are equal.
Black Ice Defender is certainly much better than the free one ttossed in
with Windows XP.
If I am really security paranoid I would use Linux with IPTables or
FreeBSD with IPFilter which are good firewalls, and don't cost much.
IPFilter is one of the best in the network admin business, and comes
with FreeBSD outof the box. However, like everything Black Ice,
IPTables, IPFilter, etc is only as good as the guy keeping them updated,
and sets them up properly to start with.
As a matter of fact FreeBSD and Linux are amuned to most viruses
natively. There are a few nasty ones for Linux that can do some damage,
but none compared to the thousands and thousands of those for Windows.
My Linux desktop has never been infected with a Virus and my Windows
machines have been virus infected at least a dozen times over the last
10 years, but I removed them 9 out of 10 times with an updated patch for
the AV software. FYI, I have been using Linux since 1998 so almost as
long, as Windows and no viruses.

Start Quote
  Think your secure if you've got
the latest windows patches? Nooooo. Microsoft has  failed to release
patches to hundreds of things.
End quote

True, but again applying those security patches is better than not
applying them. Part of this again depends on how advanced a user we have
running the Windows machine. Does he have a good Antivirus program, is
it updated, a good properly configurd firewall, does he or shee run as a
limited user rather than admin all the time, and a hundred other things.
Part of security falls on the os manufacturer, and the other half falls
squarely on the end user.