From: "Christopher Bartlett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "gamers-audyssey.org" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 1:51 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] Sound RTS, a good start, but I'd like to see more.

Ok, I've demolished the computer in the hardest
single-person mode.  Sadly, it wasn't very
difficult as the computer AI isn't very
sophisticated.  If it can't overwhelm you at the
beginning, it has a tendency to lose all its
military units.  I found myself playing a game of
maze tracking to find the four squares that
contained the buildings I had to neutralize
before I could gain victory.  By this time, I had
six footmen, 5 archers and two knights, so I was
fairly sure I wouldn't run into anything bigger
than me.  And, given the time I took, and the
buildings that the enemy had, I should have
encountered a constant stream of units, at least footmen and archers.

I think this is a brilliant concept, and once you
get used to the interface, which is unlike
anything I've seen in the audio games market, it
is a game with vast potential, particularly in
multi-player mode, which is something I intend to
try tomorrow evening, if I can figure out how to do it.

A couple of quirks to discuss.  Having studied
French a long time back, I was able to figure out
the odd speaking of certain numbers.  In French,
there is no seventy, eighty or ninety.  Seventy
is written as sixty ten.  Eighty is written as 4
* 20.  Ninety is written as four * twenty
ten.  I've heard this harks back to the
disastrous loss to the Germans in 1870.  Anyway,
when you hear that you have sixty sixteen wood,
this = 76, four twenty five = 85 and four twenty
nineteen = 99.  I think this also extends to the
treatment of numbers over one hundred, so that
six one hundred four twenty fifteen would be
6*100 + 4*20 + 15 = 695.  This is a quirk of
translation, and should probably be addressed in
the full English translation release.

Wish list:

1.  A better computer AI that takes advantage of
its buildings, resources and ability to construct
units to replenish itself after the first
devastating losses against a careful
player.  Ideally, the computer should be able to
make the same choices as the player can do by
rule, and should be constantly striving to renew and upgrade its forces.

2.  I'd like to see the cap of 20 food production
removed, (if such exists).  It imposes an
artificial limit on unit construction, and while
constrained choice creates some interesting
tactical choice elements, there are enough
resource-based constraints already in the game
not to need this artificial one that violates the theme of the game.

3.  It would be nice if peasants and footmen
could cross-grade at a barracks, and perhaps
footmen could upgrade to archers as well.  This
would be chrome and isn't a necessary feature,
but it would afford the player some more flexibility.

4.  It would be nice to be able to set a flag to
tell troops to capture installations, rather than
simply destroying them.  For instance, capturing
a town hall, keep or castle would give the captor
the resources already stored in that facility, a
farm would provide production, etc.  The choice
between raiding and conquest could be interesting
and lend an air of desperation with the choice of
trying to hold an installation, or destroying it in the face of an enemy.

5.  I think farms ought to work like gold mines
and woods do, in that peasants should have to
exploit them to store up food, and units are paid
rations periodically in order to keep them in the
field.  This would bring food in line with the
other basic commodities, and further constrain
the choices of the player(s) as they have to mind
their food supply as well as their gold and wood supplies.

6.  In order to implement my suggestion about
capturing facilities, we would need an additional
order on the military units' menus, something
like set mode to claim/destroy, like the set mode
to offensive/defensive option that already exists.

7.  Just for ease of reading numbers, I'd like to
see the English numbering system used as, while I
understand the French system, it isn't intuitive
for me when spoken in English.  I know that
quatre vingt-sisx is 86, but four twenty six takes me a second to parse.

Et maintenant, je voudrais dire que j'aime bien
jouer SoundRTS.  Vous avez commençé quelque chose
merveilleux, et j'espere que vous continuez a le
dévéloper.  Je croix qu'il peut etre un révolution dans l'industrie.

Je regrette que j'ai oublié presque tous de mon
Français, mais j'espere que vous pouvez me comprendre.

For those who don't speak French, I roughly said
that I like playing the game and that I hope the
developer will continue with its development as I
think it represents a revolutionary paradigm
shift in the industry.  I wasn't nearly that
eloquent, as most of my French has slipped away
with the differential equations I stopped using a
while back, but I though it a deserved courtesy
to a developer who has created something as
interesting and potentially ground-breaking as
SoundRTS.  Though my wish list and commentary
before is picky, over all, I give the concept and
much of the implementation of this game high
marks for creativity and usability.  I'm sure
that Jean-Luc's English is far better than my
French, a state of affairs that is sadly common
in our Americacentric world view, but I do
try.  I think I better disable spell checking on this message.  *smile*