Hi Phil,
Thanks for the various suggestions. I've never quite thought about it
quite that way, but interesting to think about.
As for your beep idea I do remember James North had special approach
sounds that played when the monster was close enough to jump over. For
example skulls would do a little rattle to let you know they were there.
Snakes hissed without biting and spiders did something else. At any rate
the changed sounds a bit when they came close to the player.