Hi Trenton,
Actually, Lara was 16 when her father wrote Von Croy, and asked him to
train Lara in archeology.
Anyway, when I do come up with my own TR clone I have to be careful how
I do it so as to side step any major copyright issues. One way is
developing a story line similar to TR, but come up with my own cast of
characters, and given them each different bios.
For example, the evil god Set is a public domain character. After all
his character is 4000 years old, and shows up in old Egyptian myths and
folk tales. Saving his character from TRLR is totally exceptable since
Edos has no copyright rights to his character. His dark minions like
mummies are completely public domain as well and I can populate my game
with mummies, sword wielding skeletons, snakes, betals, and all sorts of
creatures and there is nothing Edos can say about it.
However, some of the characters that Lara knows like Von Croy, Jean,
have to go since using them would be obvious copyright issues. Maybe
Edos would look the other way, and perhaps not. Now, if I made a TR game
using those characters I could release a game for free as fan fiction,
but as complex a game as TR is I can't really afford to do that. TR is a
complex game to write, and I would like to sell. Selling means the game
has to be slightly different.
As far as the music goes good question. I really like the TR music
myself. However, my thoughts on this tricky and sticky subject is this.
I can ship the game with it's own sounds and music which avoids any
legal entanglements. However, I can post a extra pack of free sounds,
that happens to be TR sounds, which end users can download and install
if they accept the Edos license. That way I might be able to have my
cake and eat it to.