Hi all,
I would  like to make a few comments based on what I have read in this
thread. Rather than answering them individually I will cover them in
this one message.
First, for those who don't already know this DirectX is not a
programming language. It is a set of multimedia libraries that have
built in functionality for processing input from keyboards, joysticks,
and mice as well as audio, video, etc... It is a API primarily designed
for C++ and .Net developers. While it may be possible to support DirectX
via Flash it's really out of the directly supported languages.
Second, Richard has already explained the reason Flash was used instead
of something else. Basically, triditional gaming languages such as C++
is far too time consuming and complex for quick research projects. A
language like Flash, while not the best, is a powerful scripting
language which can be used to put applications together rather fast.
Third, even if the AGM project team made a wrapper for the DirectX API
it is highly unlikely AGM and the games it creates will load any faster.
The truth is scripting languages like Flash, Python, even wwhen compiled
to a exe file will run slower than one written in C++. This is just one
of those limitations of the language. Some languages like .Net and Java
run slower than C++, but are improving execution speed all the time. Not
only that, but faster processors help make up for some of the execution
speed on slower languages.
I just thought I would give some of the technical details behind this so
no one continues to run off in a direction that is not going to be
realistically fesable.
Cheers.