Yes that's the point. And this is the classic argument of free where
abanden where. Which is why I would seriously air on the erge of causion
with regards to sharing software.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 20 October 2007 08:04
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Web site with audio games?

Hi Darren,
What you are talking about is called intellectual property rights. In
the Communist view everything should be communal property, and there is
no such thing as individual property or wealth. It is a popular idea,
especially in the open source movement, that believe software
development should be free and source code should be available to
everyone. Allot of folks on say the Blind Movie Buffs and the  Lost in
the Stacks
lists have no quoms about sharing audio books, described movies, and
some software. We have to ask ourselves a hard question. Just because
they believe or think it should be ok to share those things, they
justify it 101 ways and twice on sunday, does it really make it right?
The fact is most of us here don't live in a communist society, and we
live in a capitalist society. The rules of a capitalist society is that
whatever you want you have to pay for it, you have to enter into legal
agreements, and we have individual and company property. Believe it or
not when you buy the latest Harry Potter book you are paying for the
right to read it, and not the right to own it. You can't simply copy it
page for page and share it around, copy the disks, because you have
pirated it from the publisher and the author.
Did you know when you buy software from Microsoft it is there legal
opinion you  have purchased the right to use the software only. You do
not have the right to "physically own that software. That is why they
are going with product activation etc. They are in a sense trying to
make it so they totally control weather or not you have the right to use

the software, and if they find out you hacked, cracked, pirated, or done

any other license violation they revoke your online activation and black

list your product key.
Anyway, getting back to the point of this long message is that generally

laws state that software belongs to the owner or parent company that
created it unless expressed in writing. We can't simply pass around
music, software, books, just because we believe that makes us have the
right for reason x. We can intellectualize the matter 100001 ways, but
you run the risk of coming up against the laws intellectualworld view on

the matter.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] You can make changes or update your
subscription via the web, at
list, please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]