Hi Bryan,
I think you will discover once you get some skill with Python you won't
even touch Autoit again. My dislike for Autoit is both well known and
legendary. Mainly because it is pretty useless after you learn it.
Python on the other hand has been used to write screen readers like Orca
for Linux, NVDA for Windows, used to write TV Now for Linux, games like
Sound RTS, etc... Basically it is nearly limitless in the kinds of apps
you can right given skill to do so. You may start out writing simple
apps to copy files from place to place on your hard drive but in a year
or two think about what you might be programming with Python since you
got more skill in it.