Hi,
I had exactly the opposite  experience. I am using a laptop with 3D
Velocity and I found all of the keys were easy to access. For example, I
can use my thumb to hold down up arrow and my pointer finger to hold
down the page down key easily.
The alt, control, and shift keys are all on my left hand side so using
my left hand to hold them down and my right to use the arrows was pretty
easy as well.
Though, laptops are known for having all kinds of keyboard
configurations, and I suspect that end user experience on laptops is
going to be quite different.