Hi,
I am currently using the Moonglow Buckler shield from Talys trading
post. If I remember correctly it has a 6 mr plus additions to luck and
something else. Without it I have a 60 melee.
I don't think I got Catherine off to a good start. At the beginning of
the game I put all of my experience into restoration and elementalism.
Now I am slowly but surely trying to train up my weapons so I have a
lower than usual melee for my character. I can probably fix that once I
enter the proving grounds and some other places were I can get big
experience bonuses, and more adventure tokans which will allow me to get
a better magical shield.
right now I am working my way through the Haunting in Durnsig adventure.
Once I complete that I will probably enter level 1 of the proving grounds.