Hi Damien,
Well said. A lot of times we just don't think. We don't care about the
other side of the issue. We only see our side of the piracy issue, and
for most people that is enough. However, I can clearly remember such a
issue in my own life I now feel a bit ashamed of.
Back when I was in high school I had a girl friend named Mandy. She
really liked Amy Grant, but didn't own any of her tapes or cds. I knew
we had them at my house so in an attempt to win her affections I copied
them to tape, and gave them to her as a gift. She was predictably
excited to get a taped copy of Heart In Motion, House of Love, etc.
Though, at that time I didn't see it as steeling, piracy, etc. Just
something you do for someone you really like. A means of impressing the
girl you want to date.
Well, one thing I found out later on in life do to her Christian
upbringing Amy Grant actually does something useful with her money.
Instead of blowing it all on drugs, beer, etc she donates millions of
dollars of her own money to humanitarian origanisations that provides
homes for homeless families. She has spent millions on medicine, food,
and clothing for people who have none. Now, that I am older I would have
wished the $30 I pirated for my own interests might have been donated to
such good will organizations. It may have been used for a good cause,
but I didn't think or know about that side of the issue back then.