Hi Munawar,
Well, from a programming standpoint DirectSound was replaced by XAudio2
in the March 2008       DirectX SDK, and DirectSound was placed in the
deprecated list of development libraries for DirectX. What this means
for developers like you and I DirectSound will likely be kept in the
runtime releases for XP/Vista/Win 7 for backward compatibility purposes,
but future DirectSound development is scheduled to be removed from the
SDK as soon as XAudio2 gets wider adoption by software developers.
As for the diferences between XNA and DirectSound it does depend on if
you are using the managed XNA Framework or the unmanaged C++ libraries.
If you are using the unmanaged XAudio2 library for C++ developers then
it offers something similar to DirectSound. However, if you use the XNA
Framework for Managed .NET developers then you are getting an extremely
watered down SDK, and it doesn't have anything close to DirectSound
features yet.
In fact, your point about being watered down is the primary reason
Microsoft added XAudio2 to the March 2008 SDK. Apparently many
mainstream game developers complained about XAudio for their PC games,
wanting something like DirectSound, so Microsoft added XAudio2 which is
now a core part of the DirectX/XNA       API for C++ developers.
If you read all the release notes for DirectX it is pretty evident
Microsoft is redesigning DirectX, and XAudio2 is going to be a core part
of Windows 7, and DirectSound will likely be their for backward
compatibility purposes only. That is my take on it.