From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:39 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] USA Games News 8/20/2008

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, I have done a lot  of thinking about

this new and improved side-scroller, and after reading all of James
North's development documents I felt the game was just too plane for my
tastes. I have seen a lot of new and more modern ideas applied to
side-scrollers over the years such as weapon and item inventories, save
game features, more complex puzzle solving, you name it. Yeah, some
might argue they paid for a classic arcade game because as blind players

they never had the opportunity to try the originals way back in 1984.
Thing is, though, technology has changed allowing for more interesting
game play, more realism, and more sophisticated side-scrollers to be
created.
For example, one idea I have been seriously considering for some time is

adding a grappling hook to Angela Carter's basic inventory. Rather than
using ropes that just happen to be hanging around Angela can draw her
grappling hook, fire it, and swing across a chasm, fire pit, spikes,
etc. We have all probably seen Indiana Jones do exactly that sort of
thing with his bull whip, and I have always thought it was cool when he
pulls out his trusty whip, swings to safety, and it would be one more
level of fun in my opinion. Although, a grappling hook might make
jumping over certain traps too easy.
Although, this comes right back to the realistic factor I was talking
about before. Anyone who has had experience with mountain climbing,
caving, or does any kind of exploration in areas like that come prepared

with ropes, grappling hooks, and other climbing gear. So having her
carrying a grappling hook in her backpack isn't totally far fetched
seeing the kind of archeological work she is doing.

Bryan Peterson wrote:
> I certainly like where this is going. And MOTA is exactly the sort of
> game I
> think we need to see more of.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] You can make changes or update your
subscription via the web, at
list, please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]