From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Ken
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:15 AM
To: The PAC Mate User List; gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] the gamebooks of Arborell

The Arborell gamebooks have been brought to my attention through the gamers'
list, so I went to the website and checked the game out, never having played
a gamebook before.  I downloaded it, (two zip files,) put them on my Pac
Mate and, upon discovering it needed stats sheets and combat resolution
sheets and dice, I starting an Excel spreadsheet.  It keeps track of
everything and rolls two dice whenever any variable is changed.  For
example, in the first phase, it adds the points from your strength, agility
and so on, and shows the total underneath the last attribute.  (You can't go
over 50.)  It calculates your combat value as well.  It will also have a
complete list of all equipment you can buy with the second set of 50 points,
the cost of each, with running points total under that.  You'll just erase
the variables of any unwanted items.  It still needs a bit of work, and I'm
sure someone with more Excel experience could do a lot better than I, but if
anyone wants the file I'll send it to Arborell's development team, and
perhaps someone else could host it as well in the meantime.  I haven't
looked at the maps yet but perhaps there's a way to write one for the PM or
a Braille embosser, much like the maps in NetHack for the PM--dashes for
horizontal walls, dot 4-5-6 for vertical ones, and so on.
As for the game itself, it's totally usable on the PM.  In my usual addicts'
style, I spent an entire game playing it--about three hours on the Excel
programming.  It's a great game--as I told my daughter, it's a
choose-your-own adventure for grown-ups, and as I told my brother, it's a
d&d game when you're by yourself.
Ken Downey
DreamtechInteractive