Dark,

Try using Excel. Also, you can expand word tables at will so that should not
be a problem.
By the way, loadstone gps is an open source program that runs on mobile
phones. You may want to try integrating it with a game or feed it
coordinates and keep track of where you are using your phone.

Pranav

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of dark
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:10 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mapping program?

Hi Phil.

Hmmm, certainly intreaguing, though to be perfectly honest I wasn't even 
thinking of something with that level of complexity, I was just thinking of 
a substitute for what a sited person can naturally do with a pen and 
paper, ---- or a word file and good aski art skills for that matter.

The best substitute I've found thus far is table creating in word, though 
that has a lot of drawbacks, ---- not the least of which is that coordinates

wise, you don't know how large the map will be, so don't know how large to 
make the table, pluss there are no functions such as mapping.

I'm also not sure if the map maker in the gma engine would be more complex 
than necessary, ---- ie, settings for how large or small rooms and corridors

are for example, but as I've had no experience at all working with the 
engine (though certainly quite a bit playing it's games, lol!), I'm not sure

on this point.

Beware the Grue!

Dark.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Phil Vlasak" <p...@pcsgames.net>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mapping program?


> Hi Dark,
> David could if he chose, separate the map making function from his GMA 
> game engine and allow anyone to make maps while playing other games.
> For example if you have the map maker in one window and switch to a game 
> in a second window, you could walk along a path in the game, then switch 
> back to the map maker program and create the same path.
> You could even add notes or numbers inserted in the path telling you 
> things such as went in this room, or this is the entrance to the kitchen.
> or trapped a monster in this room.
> As you are in the map maker there will be no monsters to attack you.
> You could for example map the corridors of Shades of doom marking what is 
> behind each door and then when you play the game again, use the map 
> program to guide you as to what to do.
> It would be like a physical walk through document but designed to match 
> the game floor plan.
> As I said David could do this but I don't see it as a commercial product, 
> so it would have to be a free program.
> Phil
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
> To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
> Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 3:03 PM
> Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mapping program?
>
>
>> Hi Phil.
>>
>> Game engines create maps, however what about all those ready existing 
>> games
>> which require mapping?
>>
>> Gamebooks, interactive fiction, text games, even games like shades and 
>> sarah
>> (assuming you want to make a few more notes than what the marauder's map
>> gives you).
>>
>> This was what I was thinking, rather than specifically of a map within a
>> game engine, ---- such as the map's in mota.
>>
>> Beware the grue!
>>
>> Dark.
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> From: "Phil Vlasak" <p...@pcsgames.net>
>> To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
>> Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 6:30 PM
>> Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mapping program?
>>
>>
>>> Hi Dark,
>>> Most game engines already have the capability to create maps.
>>> But there are not too many game engines for the blind.
>>> Hopefully this year there will be some new ones.
>>> Phil
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>>> From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
>>> To: <Gamers@audyssey.org>
>>> Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 1:20 PM
>>> Subject: [Audyssey] Mapping program?
>>>
>>>
>>>> With all the gamebooks etc, I was wondering if someone would considder
>>>> designing a mapping program, ----- probably to work with Sapi.
>>>>
>>>> what I'm thinking of here is something which basically functions as a
>>>> table with eddit boxes.
>>>>
>>>> You could start at coordinates 00 (so that they can both rise and fall
>>>> into negative numbers), and move left and navigate left, right up and
>>>> down with the arrows.
>>>>
>>>> I thought each box could have several text fields which you could tab
>>>> betwene with the arrow keys and enter information about the location.
>>>>
>>>> Fields such as name, possible exits and additional information.
>>>>
>>>> This way you could create a map which you could quickly eddit while
>>>> playing a gamebook or other game, and also be able to read through 
>>>> fairly
>>>> easily, ---- in fact up to the author, some extra functions could be
>>>> added such as the ability to mark a location, read all used boxes in a
>>>> current column or row (handy for reviewing down tunnels, the ability to
>>>> read out marked locations etc.
>>>>
>>>> With the amount of text adventures, gamebooks, and even audio games 
>>>> which
>>>> have complex maps, i think this would be something which could really
>>>> helpp.
>>>>
>>>> I've read the artical on using pins in a pizza box, but I must confess
>>>> I've never personally found that method too convenient to work in
>>>> construction.
>>>>
>>>> I actually got this idea from playing Eamon, which has that really 
>>>> useful
>>>> habbit in maps of giving current information, such as "you are in a T
>>>> intersection" and I thought this could really help if a program was
>>>> constructed to do it, ----- especially with adequate read keys.
>>>>
>>>> Any thoughts would be welcome.
>>>>
>>>> Dark.
>>>> ---
>>>> Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
>>>> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to
>>>> gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
>>>> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
>>>> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
>>>> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
>>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/gam...@audyssey.org.
>>>> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the
>>>> list,
>>>> please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.
>>>
>>>
>>>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>>> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
>>> Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.5/1884 - Release Date: 
>>> 1/9/2009
>>> 8:38 AM
>>>
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
>>> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to
>>> gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
>>> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
>>> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
>>> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/gam...@audyssey.org.
>>> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the
>>> list,
>>> please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.
>>
>>
>> ---
>> Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
>> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to 
>> gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
>> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
>> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
>> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/gam...@audyssey.org.
>> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the 
>> list,
>> please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.
>
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
>
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
> Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.5/1884 - Release Date: 1/9/2009 
> 8:38 AM
>
>
> ---
> Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to 
> gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gam...@audyssey.org.
> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the 
> list,
> please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org. 


---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to
gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gam...@audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.


---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gam...@audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.

Reply via email to