Hi all,
When I was still sighted, my profession was visual effects, specializing in 3D animation and 2D compossitting. Although the CGI artist for these games will use live models to grab animation data and texture maps, I think Thomas is a bit off here on how the digitization is utilized. They don't simply reproduce the images as taken in the studio, this would lead to a very unfluid animation in the game, as well as limiting possible movements. The texture maps are placed over polygonal models, which are then animated on the fly either procedurally or from movement datasets. So to get a realistic movement, they may digitize a body double jumping in one sequence, then drawing a gun in another. These two datasets can then be combined as necessary to allow for a jump while drawing a gun. As for the texture mapping, the quality of the maps these days is amazing. In the game half life 2 for example, you could see the moisture in the eyes of other humans, and the face animation was incredible, and that is 4 year old technology. They are approaching movie quality CGI in video games now at 30 frames per second, amazing considering that when we were rendering for The X Files television show for instance, single frames could take upwards of 5 hours to render, depending on the complexity of the scene, and this was on dedicated multi processor Unix boxes. As for me as a developer of accessible games now, I'll be focusing on input, interface and audio, as there are still new horizons to sail towards.
 Later,
Che