Hi Scott,
That is a bit of a toughy. If you are looking for anything simple nothing comes to mind. From the description of the project it sounds as though you will need to program the project from scratch, and that can be a major undertaking if you don't have the prerequisite skills needed to program something like that. If you are planning to have the application run both on Windows and Mac, as your initial post suggests, I do have some advice for you. Though, what I am about to suggest is fairly technical. As far as a programming language I would suggest C#, called C-Sharp, for the project. It is fairly easy to learn, is supported on Windows/Mac/Linux, and there is quite a bit of free and commercial documentation around for it these days. The best resource for a new C# developer is
http://safari.oreilly.com
which is were I get most of my programming materials. However, it does cost about $20 USD per month to be a member. As far as sound, graphics, and keyboard Input I highly recommend SDLDotNet. I have recently switched all of my games over to use SDL for precisely the Windows, Mac, and Linux support. You can find it at
http://cs-sdl.sourceforge.net
and they have some starter materials there.
Finally, you can get the Visual Studio development sweit for Windows from my developers web site
http://developers.usagamesinteractive.com/downloads/vs-express/
Smile.