Hi,
Practice and experimentation. However, to be fair the user's guide needs some further explanation on using torches as this is something almost everyone universally missed this time round. I had assumed people would figure out that the temple, the entire temple was dark, and experiment with the torches and use them. No such luck. What really happened is they began comparing the game to Montezuma's Revenge, which this game has no relationship to, and assumed torches were to be used in specific rooms. That assumption was false, and now I know what people are thinking I can hopefully addressit in the manual for beta 2 and later. I can answer these sorts of questions now I know what the questions are.

Reinhard Stebner wrote:
How did he know that he was supposed to light it?