I've tried to use Frotz with gnome and orca under linux.  THe only
problem is the entire screen changes or refreshes so that after a
command I hear the entire screen read back to me, including past moves
and score.  There's probably some config option nestled deep within
the .frotzrc which I haven't investigated.  THe man page didn't hint
at any which sounded appropriate... maybe it's a color thing.
Adventure (sudo apt-get install bsdgames on ubuntu) works fine and is
a lot of fun.

Gnome works decently but it's significantly slower than the shell even
with Orca.  to be fair, my netbook isn't very powerful, and gnome+orca
runs a lot faster on my other laptop.  Emacspeak sounds attractive
because it's an audio desktop specifically talored for the blind, but
a lackluster web browser (according to the author - unless the firefox
interface works now) and the fact that I haven't got it running yet
means I'm still with Gnome.