Hi Tom,
Multiboot is definitely a posibility.  I've installed Gnome under
Slackware before actually, not compiled from source (thank God.)  Ubuntu
might make things a little more streamlined though.
Thanks for the suggestion.  Yeah, I'm sure targetting linux at all can
be a problem.  I'm glad you're doing it at all.
All the best,
Zack.

Thomas Ward <thomasward1...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Zack,
> Yes, I am beginning to see the problem. Slackware's lack of Gnome
> support is one of the reasons I totally stay clear of that distro. It
> is alright if all you want is a command line only environment, but if
> you want to play games that requires Gnome, use Open Office, Firefox,
> or a hundred other Gnome based applications you are basically
> screwed. Compiling Gnome from scratch, plus mono, gnome-sharp, etc is
> not something I would want to wish on my worst enemy let alone a
> potential customer.
> Have you considered some sort of multiboot setup. You could keep
> Slackware on one partition since you favor that distro, but install
> something like Ubuntu on another so you could access a fully
> operational Gnome environment, easily install Mono, etc for any
> graphical applications?
> I'm just throwing this out there as a suggestion as I know from
> first-hand experience compiling a fully working Gnome desktop, mono,
> bla by hand is very very painful. Plus there is a boatload of Mono and
> Gnome dependancies MOTA requires that are native to Fedora and Ubuntu,
> and some distributions such as Slackware lack. It is things like this
> that makes targeting Linux difficult. No two distros are a like, and
> while one might have everything you need right out of the box the next
> distro doesn't have it at all. it is enough to drive a developer
> insane.
> Smile.
>
> Zachary Kline wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>> I suppose the best reason I can give for not switching to Gnome is that
>> I find the command line quite powerful enough.  I have Emacspeak
>> installed on this machine, which lets me send email, read Usenet news,
>> etc.  Speakup lets me play all the linux compatible games I want.
>> edbrowse and Emacs/w3 provide web browsers, LaTeX is my word/math
>> processor.
>> All this being the case, I might be persuaded to install Gnome over here
>> if MOTA came out for it.  This is a Slackware system, which doesn't make
>> Gnome easily available by default, but I can get it if I want it.
>> Hope this explaination makes sense.
>> Best,
>> Zack.

LOVE
When you like to think of someone on days that begin with a morning.