Hi Che,
Yeah, threading is definitely my friend right now. I spent an hour or so last night splitting the game into multiple threads and it is running far better than I had expected. As for the speech issue now that I have started breaking the game down into individual threads the speech is working far better. It doesn't hang the input thread up, and I've got it so it will interrupt the speech most of the time. With a day or two of work I think I'll have this major issue solved soon.
Smile.

Che wrote:
 Hi,
Regarding the interruption of the speaking of .wav files, you should be able to put the code that handles that in a separate thread, then continue to run the main game loop. If the interrupt key is hit, you can just abort and join that thread, stopping the speaking of the wav sounds. I do something similar with the simulation of poker hands with the new hold em game,and it works perfectly.
 Threads are definately your friend in the accessible gaming world.
HTH,
che