Hey Che,

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the resistance is there just
because it's a whole new device.  There'll be less resistance to game
pads because they've got more buttons and people can think of them
subconsciously as funny shaped scaled down keyboards lol.  "Ah but
there's joysticks on most pads" I hear you cry, and you're right there
is.  There's also d pads on most, and I'd bet my boots that's what
most blind folks are using over a joystick if both are an option,
because a d pad is closer to using the arrows on your keyboard in that
it has clearly defined directions to tap.

The reason I'm ranting about this is that, until quite recently, I
took an extended break from gaming.  The first few titles on the PS2
were the last big events for me, then due to money and band
commitments and whatever else gaming just kinda got phased out.  My
point is that I've come back recently to find that there are beatemups
around now where you can't avoid using the joysticks on those PS3/PS2
controllers, and coming at it with a fresh set of hands that'd be
rusty on any pad made me realise that they're great.  I've taken a
similar philosiphy with mouse input, just tested it out on the Rail
Racer demo for the first time earlier, and I'm totally sold.  You'll
be getting an order for a key from me in a sec.

I guess the point of this rant is don't knock it until you've tried it
folks.  With a more expressive form of input like actual mouse
movement, tried it means spending a few hours with it and getting a
feel for it until you start to operate on instinct as you would with a
keyboard, it doesn't mean giving it a quick waggle and giving up
because it's not what you're used too.  Sure there'll be those who
never take to it, just like there are those who never grow to love the
Wii's method, but for some games in particular I'd say it'd be well
worth your time to give it a whirl if you haven't already.

Scott