Hi Dark,
Well, the issue isn't about weather a certain game or type of game requires a mouse but the option or availability to use the mouse as a secondary input device. Take a game like Troopenum. It certainly does not need a mouse to play. Most would agree joystick and keyboard input is fine. Still if the mouse was available as an input device it would add something extra to the experience. A player could simply drag the mouse left/right to target the enemy ships and press the left button to fire. The right button could toggle through your weapons. A handy, simple, and responsive interface wrapped up in one. My point is that games do not have to be difficult to get something out of having a mouse as an input device. Plus these days just about everyone has a mouse where joysticks is an added expense. So it may save a few bucks if the user is ok with the mouse and doesn't want to pay for a joystick up front.

dark wrote:
There are some pretty nifty games I've heard of which use the mouse or other relative in put devices to control the character.

take for example the old spindizy games on the amigar, which used either a mouse or a trackball to tilt the level around and make a pinball fall into holes.

I've also heard of several scrolling shooters flying spaceships which use the mouse as a smoother and more streamline control method for the main ship.

that being said though, imho a platform game where the concentration is on moving and climing in streight lines doesn't require a mouse particularly.

As I said though, as a lover of joysticks, and reluctantly a keyboard, I'm probably heavily biased on this point.

Beware the Grue!

dark.
-----