Yah, I agree with Dark here, the mouse shouldn't be used just as a replacement for keys only. The unique abilities of the mouse should be utilized as much as possible to take advantage of its possibilities, something that is going to take thinking outside the box. I think Thomas mentioned using the mous buttons to jump, but why not have the left button fire the weapon, scroll wheel change inventory, and right button holster and unholster weapon? Then a modifier key could be used for jumping in conjunction with the mouse. Just a suggestion, but there are all kinds of possibilities that would attract the gamer to use the mouse if it were more than a simple replacement for pressing keys.
 Later
che

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] The fun little mouse, was:: MOTA Mouse Support

As I said Tom, this probably will just end up being a "suck it and see" type of question.

currently my opinion is that the mouse is a more specialized form of control and useable for specific sorts of in game challenges, ---- precise targiting or use as a throtle. If people would prefer to use a mouse in a space invaders game, ---- fair enough if the option is there.

Currently though, I'm less keen on the mouse being simply a substitute control method. Just as the mouse requires different sorts of physical action, it should be suted to those sorts of actions.

if the mouse is used in a game, i'd prefer it to be used with a distinct and definite use in mind specific to the control method of a mouse, ---- such as that seen in the gestures game, or planned in Che's fighting game. It just strikes me using the mouse to move in streight lines in a game with basic controls and targiting is something of overkill.

Just my opinion though, and if a game is developed with mouse support I'm always ready to give it a try, ---- I'd just prefer it personally if mouse support was used to it's fullest extent in games, not merely becoming a substitute for keyboards.

Beware the Grue!