Hi,
Well, in beta 4 I've moved that particular key. It is now in the center of the lake. You have to swim out into the lake and retreave it before you can use it. As for the Harpies yes it is possible to duck their lightning attacks, but they will sometimes still hit you at some times. Just depends on how good their aim is.