Hi,
I didn't have a recovery partition because it was a custom built desktop, but that wasn't the problem anyway. The problem was when I replaced the motherboard and processor do to a hardware failior the Vista license key was no longer valid, and microsoft wanted to charge almost full price for a new key. That was completely rediculous. What i ended up having to do is simply blow the drive away and install Linux so I'd have something to use since the XP and Vista disks I had for the system were now worthless. Although, eventually I picked up an OEM copy of Vista for $125, repartitioned the drive, and setup a multiboot on the system.