Hi Jim,
I just played Mach 1 TTS, and it's lots of fun!
Unfortunately I haven't plugged in my game pad to try it out yet, so I used the keyboard defaults. Your description is good but some keyboards put the six pack keys in a vertical configuration instead of horizontal so you should say what key does what as in,
Default keyboard configuration.
The six pack is usually above the arrow keys.
right shift key = speedometer.
right control key = track position.
lower center key of the six pack, End key, = start engine and say gear.
lower right key of the six pack, page down, = say lap.
upper  center key of the six pack, home key, = play horn.
lower left key of the six pack, delete key, = say current elapse race time.
left arrow key = steering left.
right arrow key = steering right.
up arrow key = up shift one gear.
down arrow key = down shift one gear.