Hi Louise,
As the developer of Mysteries of the Ancients I should be able to help you get it installed and running correctly. The main problem new gamers have, especially those still running Windows XP, is that their Windows software isn't up to date. Most need to upgrade there .NET Framework and DirectX before they can install and play any of my games that are primarily designed for Windows Vista and Windows 7, but will run just fine on XP once some Windows updates are applied. Anyway, if you need or want some help you can write me off list at
thomasward1...@gmail.com
and we can see what might be going wrong with the install.
HTH

Louise Keel wrote:
I tried installing it once, and it sent my whole system completely squiffy! I'm
sort of reluctant about trying it again, but am so tempted, as it's a side
scroller, and those are the ones I have most success playing.  I have no
success with 3 D games at all!

Lulu.