you could use the library portable version of ESpeak in a pinch.
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] A new audiogame MP3 demo

Hi,
Yeah, sometimes I think supporting Sapi 5 is more trouble than it is worth. Even though the actual number of people who have problems with Sapi is relatively low it still can turn out to be a hastle. When I was still supporting Sapi in Montezuma's Revenge I got a number of bug reports, complaints, with the game. Upon further investigation quite a number of those were a result of a broken Sapi installation, and because it was a core component of my games I would do all i could to try and resolve those issues. Thing is Sapi is easy to break, and much harder to fix.In the end I personally felt it was too much hastle to worry about. Another issue was that not everyone owns or can purchase high quality Sapi voices. I sometimes got complaints that they would rather have a voice ship with the game rather than use Sapi. If I were stuck with something as terrible sounding as Microsoft Sam I couldn't blame them. There is much that could be said about having a realy cool game, but being forced to use a really aweful sounding Sapi voice. That doesn't quite match the image i want to project with my games.
Smile.

Davy Kager wrote:
Hi,

The game will eventually feature human speech, but because it takes more time to create these voice files, I just convert SAPI 5 TTS into wave-files to save some time. I will not link in with SAPI if it is not necessary.