Blind Pilot's Project Tutorial

Setting up Real-World Routes for use on VATSIM
By Harun

I am using NVDA, so JFW output may be different.

We want our flights to be a realistic as possible, so we will be using real
world pilot routes.

There are TWO methods to use. The first will be checking SIMROUTES to see if
any routes already exist. If they do exist, then you can download the flight
plan in FS9 format and Squawkbox format, ready to go.
The second method involves looking into real world flight data, and using a
flight plan to put it into SIMROUTES.

We will be using two websites to setup these routes.

SimRoutes:
http://www.simroutes.com/

Flightaware IFR Route Analyzer:
http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/

===
Method 1: Finding a route from SIMROUTES.

Tab around until you find the 'help' link. Then tab once. You will enter an
edit box. This is the departure ICAO entry box. Enter KSJC. Tab again to find
the destination ICAO entry box. Enter KLAX. Activate the 'Find Plans' button.

If plans are available, there will be a table under the 'Find Plans' button. It
will have the Origin, Route, Destination, Distance in Miles (NM), Type (Low
altitude or High altitude airways), and Comments.

Let's choose the second route. Notice that the 'Route' (SJC9 AVE SADDE6) is
clickable. That is what we want.

KSJC SJC9 AVE SADDE6 KLAX 287  HI   For turbojet aircraft.

Analysis:
KSJC-KLAX via SJC9 Sid, then AVE transition from SADDE6 STAR into KLAX. It is a
HI altitude airway route, and a distance of 287 miles.

On the next screen, you will be provided a TON of information. Tab down until
you hear something like "Boeing 747-400 Domestic no winglets". This is the
aircraft list. Select your aircraft. This is important, because it tells the
ATC your max TAS and VS limits.
Tab again to hear your aircraft's TAS (B74D is 505). Tab across the "file
online" button, do not press it.
Tab once again and you will hear a list like "747PIC.� This is the export
selection list. We want to export to FS9 and Squawkbox (if flying online)
formats. For FS9, select "FS2004 FS9 (3 of 11)". For Squawkbox, select
"Squawkbox 3 (9 of 11)".
Tab one last time and you will hear the "Download flight plan" button. Press
it, and you will be given a download screen. This contains the file you want to
use.
If you are in VISTA, you want to place this file in your "My Flights" folder.
Mine would be "C:\Users\Harun\Documents\Flight Simulator Files"

If you are in XP, then it is in your "My documents" folder.
===
Method 2: Finding a route from Flightaware and inputting it into SIMROUTES.

1. Find the text "Need to find a flight?� Then tab once. You will enter an edit
box. This is the departure ICAO entry box. Enter KSJC. Tab again to find the
destination ICAO entry box. Enter KLAX. Tab again and activate the "Find
Flights!" button.
2. Find the "Route Analysis Summary" table. Tab down or use the arrow keys. You
will find five columns.

Frequency - The number of pilots who chose this route to fly. (Guess)
Origin - The Origination airport in ICAO format.
Destination - The Destination airport in ICAO format.
Altitude - The altitude that was flown, in thousands of feet.
Full Route - The route, including SID and STAR that was used.

Let's analyze this route. I have selected the first line of the table.

12   KSJC   KLAX   41000   SJC9 MOONY AVE SADDE6

Frequency - 12
Origin - KSJC
Destination - KLAX
Altitude - 41000
Full Route - SJC9 MOONY AVE SADDE6

Copy the Full Route information to the clipboard.

This route tells us that we will be taking off from KSJC. We will be using the
SJC9 SID with the MOONY transition. We will climb to 41000 feet. Finally, we
will take the AVE transition into the SADDE6 STAR.

We can see the flight strip like this:
KSJC SJC9.MOONY AVE.SADDE6 KLAX
Notice the period in the SID and STAR. It connects the SID/STAR and the
transition. If it is a SID, we see SID.TRANSITION . If it is a STAR, we see
TRANSITION.STAR .

Here is a verbose-ish depiction of the flight strip.
KSJC (space) SJC9 SID (period) MOONY transition (space) AVE transition (period)
SADDE6 STAR (space) KLAX

Now, let's go to SIMROUTES to enter the data and get our flight plan.

When you are at SIMROUTES, shift-tab backwards to find "Generate Routes.� Here
we find six fields. Departure Edit box. SID (don't bother). Route (where we
place our flight strip). Arrival (destination airport). STAR (don't bother).

So, through the six fields, we would enter:
KSJC for destination ICAO.
TAB over the SID.
Enter our flight strip into the ROUTE edit box (SJC9 MOONY AVE SADDE6)
KLAX for arrival ICAO.
TAB over the STAR.
Press "Generate Route".

On the next screen, you'll be provided a TON of information. Tab down until you
hear something like "Boeing 747-400 Domestic no winglets". This is the aircraft
list. Select your aircraft. This is important, because it tells the ATC your
max TAS and VS limits.
Tab again to hear your aircraft's TAS (B74D is 505). Tab across the "file
online" button, don't press it.
Tab once again and you'll hear a list like "747PIC.� This is the export
selection list. We want to export to FS9 and Squawkbox (if flying online)
formats. For FS9, select "FS2004 FS9 (3 of 11)". For Squawkbox, select
"Squawkbox 3 (9 of 11)".
Tab one last time and you'll hear the "Download flight plan" button. Press it,
and you'll be given a download screen. This contains the file you want to use.
If you're in VISTA, you want to place this file in your "My Flights" folder.
Mine would be: C:\Users\Harun\Documents\Flight Simulator Files

If you're in XP, then it's in your "My documents" folder.
===

Finally, load up the flight plan in FS9, or Squawkbox, and FLY!

Cheers,