Hi Rick,
The answer to your question is in the terms of the license agreement. If as you say this mud is based on someone elses work then the original author of said mud code has the legal say so regarding that mud and its derived works. For example, let us say I create a mud and state in the license agreement that the code is to be open source, and that any derivatives must remain open source. If some hot shot comes along, takes my source, and changes the terms of the license agreement he is in violation of the original license. However, in order to uphold my license agreement i have to be sure he actually used my source and not created a clone. Does that make sense? So in your case you believe this mud is a derivative of another mud. If that is indeed the case the original license agreement has legal presidents over what ever the developer of the derivative work says. However, if this new mud is a clone, not based on the actual original mud, then he is well with in his rights to set the terms of the license agreement. So you have to be absolutely certain this work is a derivative work and not a clone.