Hi Michael,
Well, a steering wheel is basically a type of joystick. The same code to support a joystick or game pad will also support a steering wheel, but if you aren't using a game specifically targeting a steering wheel the input will be rather weird. That said, there are a few accessible racing games that support a steering wheel.
By far my favorite is Rail Racer. You can download a demo of it from
http://www.blindadrenaline.com
and it is a very good racing game for the price.
As far as free games goes there is Topspeed available from
http://www.playinginthedark.net.
It isn't my favorite racing game, but it is free, works well with a racing wheel, and you might enjoy it. Finally, there is Jim Kitchen's Mach1 TTS which also works fairly well with a racing wheel. You can get that from his web site
http://www.kitchensinc.net.
HTH

http://www.playinginthedark.net