Personally I don't care if it's free as long as it won't break my bank account. Actually though, as I said in a prior post in another topic, my girlfriend Angel apparently wants to team up to try creating some games. She offered to try and teach me some of what she knows in the process. We'll just have to see what comes of it.
You have acquired the skill of Weaponry Theremin.
Your current level of mastery is 10 Apprentice.
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] game ideas

Hi Lex,
At the moment I'm not really sure how I plan to license the Genesis Engine. My main reason for creating it in the first place was so that i could create games quickly and without a lot of work. Although, I am not writing games specifically for money I would like to make a little something off of creating and selling my games. If I release Genesis as open source, under a creative commons license, or some other free license it could come back to bite me financially. I'm well aware that there are lots of people here that want to get their hands on a good game engine that is free, doesn't require a lot of programming, and that might allow them to create games they like. There are even some that want to create games to sell. That's all well and good, but I need to make a living too. If I release it as open source I am in a sense turning control of the engine and its source over to the blind gaming community as public property. As such anyone could freely modify it, sell it, create games with it, and I don't make anything off of it. I'm not sure I want to give all of my time and work away for free. I'd like to make something off of it financially. If I decide to sell it I might not make loads of money off of it, but I could make something off of it. If I license it to another developer he or she would give me say 25% of their income from their game sales to maintain the software license. If they sell 100 games at $30 per unit sold my take from the sales would be something like $750 and his or her take would be around $2250. Not great money, but it would be a little money to put back into USA Games and allow me to improve the engine, buy and license better sound effects and music, pay for development software, and other operating expenses. It is good business to license it rather than make it open source.
HTH