Hi,
They do and they don't. Cononicle makes their money by providing tech support services, by providing on site training, providing printed manuals, getting donations, and so on. They make absolutely nothing off the software itself. The primary difference between a company like Canonicle and Microsoft that you fail to realise is that Canonicle doesn't have to pay anyone to create the software. They don't have to employ x number of programmers to write, maintain, and build the software. All of their software is by obtaining source code from various open source projects such as the gnome desktop, Mozilla Firefox, Open Office, etc. All they have to do is download and compile the software, and slap the Ubuntu name on it. That's relatively cheap for them, because they only need a small group to do that work. Were a company like Microsoft to adopt the same open source standard they would have to fire most of their programmers and depend on the open source community to maintain the software while they sell their services and take donations. They would mnake money, but not enough to maintain an inhouse team of professional, highly qualified, programmers on hand. That puts guys like me out of a job. I hope guys like you are willing to come up with x amount of money to pay me through donations to continue programming, or I'll be looking for work somewhere else.

Josh wrote:
Hi,

If all software were releasedunder the gpl we could still make money of it. Canonicle who makes Ubuntu after all, they make money.
Josh

Join me on klango at www.klango.net visit and sign my petition at: http://www.petitiononline.com/coda1234/petition.html and visit my blog at: http://jkenn337.klangoblog.net follow me on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jkenn337